Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Maxfield Parrish paintings

Maxfield Parrish paintings
Martin Johnson Heade paintings
How did you get here?"
I passed you in a hansom."
"There has been some new development?"
"I had an answer to my advertisement."
"Ah!"
Yes, it came within a few minutes of your leaving."
"And to what effect?"
Mycroft Holmes took out a sheet of paper.
"Here it is," said he, written with a J pen on royal cream paper by a middle-aged man with a weak constitution.
"Sir
[ he says ]:" In answer to your advertisement of to-day's date, I beg to inform you that I know the young lady in question very well. If you should care to call upon me I could give you some particulars as to her painful history. She is living at present at The Myrtles, Beckenham.
"Yours faithfully," J. DAVENPORT.
"He writes from Lower Brixton," said Mycroft Holmes. "Do you not think that we might drive to him now, Sherlock, and learn these particulars?"

No comments: