Monday, July 7, 2008

childe hassam Poppies Isles of Shoals painting

childe hassam Poppies Isles of Shoals painting
Frederic Edwin Church Landscape in the Adirondacks painting
After all, the only real roses are the pink ones," said Anne, as she tied white ribbon around Diana's bouquet in the westwardlooking gable at Orchard Slope. "They are the flowers of love and faith."
Diana was standing nervously in the middle of the room, arrayed in her bridal white, her black curls frosted over with the film of her wedding veil. Anne had draped that veil, in accordance with the sentimental compact of years before.
"It's all pretty much as I used to imagine it long ago, when I wept over your inevitable marriage and our consequent parting," she laughed. "You are the bride of my dreams, Diana, with the `lovely misty veil'; and I am YOUR bridesmaid. But, alas! I haven't the puffed sleeves -- though these short lace ones are even prettier. Neither is my heart wholly breaking nor do I exactly hate Fred."
"We are not really parting, Anne," protested Diana. "I'm not going far away. We'll love each other just as much as ever. We've always kept that `oath' of friendship we swore long ago, haven't we?"
"Yes. We've kept it faithfully. We've had a beautiful friendship, Diana. We've never

No comments: