Friday, September 5, 2008

Gertrude Stein

Gertrude SteinPortrait of MadameGirls at the Beach
people call Him crazy, He might be the real thing, you got to decide. I believe in George."
Stoker feigned disgust. "Then you must believe he'snot the Grand Tutor and Bray is, since that's what George says himself."
Undismayed, Max explained what I'd not fully realized I felt until I heard him: first, that all I claimed for Bray was that he wasn't simply flunked, as I'd previously believed: there was something extraordinary, out of the merely human, about him -- as about myself, in both my parentage and my kidship. Second, that my admitted failure applied only to my efforts at Tutoring before I myself had passed the Finals and thus had no bearing on my present authenticity. If indeed those efforts were failures, which had successfully revealed to my Tutees such flunkèd aspects of themselves. . .
"Me it sure did!" Leonid cried dolefully. "Such a selfiness I never thought! But I don't care!"
"Nuts," said Stoker. "A man that tells me I should pimp for my wife is a Grand Tutor? And tells her to spread her legs for the whole campus?"

No comments: