Thursday, August 28, 2008

Edvard Munch Madonna painting

Edvard Munch Madonna paintingAlbert Moore silver paintingRene Magritte The Blank Check painting
horny-beaked and sere-eyed like a turtle's, and his neck as corded, loose in the carapace of his collar. I was amazed. A tattered, glaring chap turned to me.
"He's the stingiest man on campus! Let's shake it out of him!"
And indeed they might have laid hands on him, but I was inspired to point out that until after the eclipse there would be no clear shadows for the Old Man of the Mall to reckon from.
"I wouldn't've told 'em anyhow," he said.
"Youare stingy!" I scolded him. The young men granted my point, but were incensed enough by the fellow's meanness -- as almost was I -- to offer him a roughing in any case. I forestalled it by giving them the reading of my own timepiece, the best I could manage, for which they thanked me and withdrew, not without grumbled threats to return with the sun.
"Don't come empty-handed," the old man called after them. "I'm not Reg Hector."
"You're mad!" I cried. "Why didn't you tell them yourself you didn't know the right time?"

No comments: