Wednesday, August 20, 2008

John William Waterhouse Hylas and the Nymphs painting

John William Waterhouse Hylas and the Nymphs paintingJohn William Waterhouse Waterhouse Ophelia painting
of us were party to the quarrel, which grew so heated, lengthy, and complex that finally, as editor-in-chief, I was obliged to put an end to it. No further discussion of the book was permitted. Inasmuch as the final responsibility was mine I requested from each of my four associates a brief written statement on the questions: should we publish the manuscript entitledGiles Goat-Boy ?If so, why, and if not, why not?
Their replies anticipate, I think, what will be the range of public and critical reaction to the book. I reprint them here (with signatures and certain personal references omitted) not in the hope of forestalling that reaction, but to show that our decision was made neither hastily nor in bad faith:

Editor A

I am quite sensible that \have changed since my own tenure as editor-in\has lost its sanctity, sex its mystery; every filthiness is published in the name of Honesty; all respect for law and discipline is gone -- to say nothing ofpropriety

No comments: