Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Paul Gauguin The Yellow Christ painting

Paul Gauguin The Yellow Christ paintingPaul Gauguin The Vision After the Sermon paintingPaul Gauguin The Siesta painting
me in that particular. His inspirations? Crippled: but I sat awed before the bravery of their unfolding. Hispersonae ? Raw motors cursed with speech, ill-wrought as any neighbors of mine -- but they blustered along like them as if alive, and I shook my head. Stories I'd set down before were children gone their ways; everything argued they'd amount to nothing; I scarcely recognized their faces. I was in short disengaged, not chocked or out of fuel but fretfully idling; the pages of my work accumulated to no end, all noise and no progress, like a racing motor. What comfort that in every other way my lot prospering, rank and income newly raised, my small fame spreading among -- to a man whose Fancy is missing in action, all boons feel posthumous. The work before me (that I now put by, with a show of interruption): Where was its clutch, its purchase? Something was desperately wanting: a thing that mightn't be striven for, but must come giftlike and unsought; a windfall from orchards of the spirit, a voice from nowhere; a visitation. Indeed it was no novel. . . My heart turned sinking from the rest.
All I said was, "Oh?"
"My name is Stoker Giles," the young man announced. His head still was propped on the singular stick, and he continued to regard me with an uncalled-for look of delight

No comments: