Friday, February 20, 2009

Daniel Ridgway Knight Shepherdess and her Flock

Daniel Ridgway Knight Shepherdess and her FlockDaniel Ridgway Knight Hailing the FerryHorace Vernet The Lion Hunt
He gave her a mug of soup straight off the fire, and she sipped it greedily.
"What we going to do about them witches, Farder Coram?" she said. "I wonder if your witch was one of them."
"My witch?I wish I'd seen them a flying, Lyra. I wish I'd been able to see a sight like that. Now drink up all that soup. D'you want some more? There's some pan-bread a too. Eat up, child, because we're on our way soon."
The food revived Lyra, and presently the chill at her soul began to melt. With the others, she went to watch the little half-child laid on his funeral pyre, and bowed her head and closed her eyes for John Faa's prayers; and then the men sprinkled I wouldn't presume that far, Lyra. They might be going anywhere. There's all kinds of concerns that play on the of witches, things invisible to us: mysterious sicknesses they fall prey to, which we'd shrug off; causes of war quite beyond our understanding; joys and sorrows bound up with the flowering of tiny plants up on the tundra....But

No comments: